Shia Clerics Say Will Take Out Youm-e-Ali Processions Despite Ban
A number of Shia religious groups have told the government that they will hold processions to mark the martyrdom anniversary of Hazrat Ali (R.A) despite the ban on congregational gatherings imposed by the government of Sindh.
Top Shia clerics of the country held a meeting with Minister for Religious Affairs Pir Noor-ul-Haq Qadri on Friday and told him that the Youm-e-Ali processions will go as planned.
According to Dawn, the minister told the clerics that protecting people from the deadly coronavirus should be the priority, adding that the federal government will consider giving the permission for the processions after consultations with the provinces.
The meeting was held to discuss the security during religious gatherings to mark the martyrdom of Hazrat Ali on May 13 to 15 (19th to 21st Ramzan).
Earlier on April 28, the Sindh government had announced that the processions would not be allowed. The Shia clerics had not responded to the announcement at the time, but they have now expressed their reservations.
The clerics reportedly also told the minister that a sectarian hate campaign began on social media following the Sindh government’s announcements to ban the processions on Youm-e-Ali.