K-Electric Chief Booked After 19-Year-Old Dies From Electrocution In Karachi
An FIR [first information report] was registered against the chief executive officer and other senior officials of the K-Electric (KE) at Defence police station after a 19-year-old man died due to electrocution in Karachi on Tuesday.
According to Dawn, Faizan, who was a resident of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Mansehra district and worked in the transport business, drove to Karachi on August 10 and spent the night at his uncle’s residence in the Qayyumabad neighbourhood.
On the next day, Faizan went out for a walk. “At around 8:45am, however, somebody informed Fayyaz that Faizan had died after suffering an electric shock at a KE substation in Defence Housing Authority Phase VII extension,” according to the FIR.
The FIR claimed that the teenager died due to the ‘negligence, carelessness and lack of precautions’ by KE CEO Moonis Alvi, distribution head Amir Zia, senior security officer Defence IBC Faheem and assistant manager Defence Owais.
The FIR has been registered under Section 322 (manslaughter) read with Section 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the Pakistan Penal Code.
Last week, the chief justice of Pakistan expressed displeasures with the K-Electric during a hearing in Karachi. At least 20 people have been killed due to electrocution since July.