Schools In Sindh Might Remain Closed For Another Six Months
Education Minister of Sindh Saeed Ghani said that schools in the province might not be able to resume classes for another six months because the coronavirus situation is worsening. He said that an online curriculum will be introduced to help the students keep up with their learning.
In a press conference in Karachi, he said that the government “will not take the risk to send children to school”.
Ghani said that the previously announced date of schools reopening on June 1 will not be acted upon, now the government will be announcing another date.
“Shafqat Mehmood himself is saying that there are some hurdles in promoting students of matriculation and intermediate,” he said, referring to the federal minister for education.
He said that the according to the board rules, matriculation and intermediate students cannot be promoted without having taken the final examination.
“We don’t want the students to face any legal trouble later,” he said.
He said that it had been decided to promote students of class 1 to class 8 but that there were problems in enforcing this decision as well.
“For children to be promoted, their previous class’s performance will have to be evaluated. If someone has not cleared a subject, an examination for that subject will have to be held after things improve,” said Ghani.
He also said that a committee will be formed to help iron out all irregularities in the updating of the system, as the coronavirus outbreak has made it essential for everyone to bring about changes to their lifestyles.
“We cannot keep schools closed indefinitely, we need to keep in mind children’s education.”
He said in this regard, an online curriculum will be introduced and other models to ensure children’s education does not take a hit are also being considered.