Safety Measures Against Coronavirus In Courts Not Satisfactory, Sindh Lawyers Complain
The lawyers of Sindh, on Thursday, gathered to demand that the government takes coronavirus safety measures at the courts seriously. At a press conference, Karachi Bar Association president Munir Ahmed Malik said that so far eight COVID-19 positive cases had emerged from the courts and they might spread the virus if the provincial government does not take preventive measures, The News reported.
The legal fraternity said that it was an alarming situation and to add insult to the injury, the KBA has also not received its annual grant from the provincial government. They also said the government had not paid any heed to repeated requests for the grant.
Malik asked the government to focus on the situation in the courts and demanded funds for the bar. He said that due to the government’s inattention, the lawyers were forced to hold a press conference, and if their demands were not met, they would follow a strict course of action.
A day earlier, the issue of preventive measures against the novel coronavirus was also discussed at the Sindh High Court (SHC) as the registrar informed the high court that only three thermal guns had been provided to the SHC against the requirement of at least five and even some of them were not working.
The registrar submitted that no such arrangements had been made at the City Courts where advocates and litigants were continuously attending the courts.