FO Summons Indian Deputy High Commissioner To Protest India’s Ceasefire Violations
ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office (FO) on Wednesday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner Gaurav Ahluwalia to register its protest against yet another ceasefire violation by the Indian armed forces from across the Line of Control (LoC). One civilian was killed while three others were injured in the incident.
According to a press statement, a 50-year-old woman Noor Jahan was killed on Tuesday after Indian forces continued “indiscriminate and unprovoked firing” in the Nezapir and Bagsar sectors near the India-Pakistan border. As a result, one woman and two men sustained serious injuries.
This is the second time in almost four days that the Indian security forces have violated the ceasefire agreement between the two neighbouring countries. On September 29, two civilians, including a woman and a teenage boy, were killed from cross-border shelling while three civilians were injured.
Meanwhile, the FO Spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal said that Indian security forces had been frequently targeting civilian populated areas with “artillery fire, heavy-calibre mortars and automatic weapons”.
“This unprecedented escalation in ceasefire violations by India is continuing from the year 2017 when the Indian forces committed 1,970 ceasefire violations,” the press release read.
Dr Faisal warned India that the ceasefire violations “may lead to a strategic miscalculation”. He said that the “deliberate targeting of civilian-populated areas” was “deplorable and contrary to human dignity, international human rights and humanitarian laws”. These incidents pose a serious threat to regional peace, he added.
According to the press statement, the Indian side has been urged to respect the 2003 ceasefire arrangement between the two countries to permit the United Nations (UN) Commission for India and Pakistan to play its mandated role in the region per the UN Security Council resolutions.